Thursday, February 14, 2013

Woodsy The Owl Comes to Israel

As an American, I take certain things for granted living in Israel: property taxes are paid by the landlord and not the tenant; buying items in bulk is cheaper than smaller sizes; almost no one would think of littering at a National Park.

None of these hold true in Israel. 

While I've unfortunately seen Israelis littering all over the country, my visit to the Dead Sea this week was especially troubling, as I witnessed students on a field trip throwing their trash into the famous body of water. While it's not inconceivable to think that some kids might throw trash into the Grand Canyon, I can't believe that if they did it in front of their teachers, as these girls did, they would not be reprimanded.

I channeled my concern into an op-ed for the Times of Israel.

It's not enough for me to post something and move on. There needs to be a campaign to educate and inspire Israelis to take better care of their land. If no one else wants to do it, I will.

Something this big I can't accomplish alone. I need your help. Please spread the word. I'm working on a slogan in Hebrew, suggestions are welcomed. Please contact me if you would like to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment